The trial of the leader of the Independent People Of Biafra (IPOB) Nnamdi Kanu took a new turn on Tuesday, December 13, after a Federal High Court judge ruled on an application for secret trial by the Department of State Services (DSS).Delivering the ruling, Justice Binta Nyako said the court would allow the witnesses some degree of protection.
Kanu said he would not allow himself to be given a secret trial in any way, adding that anything short of a public trial would not be allowed.
The IPOB leader is facing an 11-count charge alongside three other pro-Biafra agitators, Mr. Chidiebere Onwudiwe, Benjamin Madubugwu and David Nwawuisi. Charges against the accused persons border on reasonable felony and their alleged involvement in acts of terrorism.Naij.com has compiled 6 things the IPOB leader said during the tribunal:
1. “The president can intimidate the judges, but he cannot do that to me. Tell him he has lied.”
2. “I won’t stand this travesty of Justice. Buhari spoke in public, he accused me in public. I must also be allowed to stand my trial in public.”
3. “They are killing my people in public, after killing my people they want to try me in private? That person is mad. I won’t allow it.”
4. “There will be no screening of witnesses, no fake identities or fake addresses. I cannot be tried in secret. No! Nnamdi Kanu cannot be jailed in secret! They are mad. Why must I be tried in secrecy by a government that does not obey court orders.”
5. “This is nonsense! I will give testimony before this court! By the time I finish, there will be no Nigeria. This is no Sharia court. It is a court that operates under the common law.”
6. “Sit down! I am your counsel let me talk. I have not come all the way here to allow you speak for me in court.”